Sunday 10 October 2010

Plymouth Parity

Plymouth Argyle 2 - Charlton Athletic 2


There was never a danger of me making it to Devon yesterday.

I salute those 600 or so hardy souls, who were already on their journey West when I was deciding it was far too early for the first Saturday morning cup of coffee.
The fact that those same people didn't return to London until after the pubs were shut, just proves what a long old 'poke' it is.

I turned on BBC London to hear the same commentary CAFCplayer were offering.
I was a little tardy getting my act together and the game was already 15 minutes old before I realised we were 1-0 down.
Bad defending apparently.

The first half seemed to be more about chances spurned by Argyle but I was able to shout "Get in there!"  when Benson stabbed the ball into the Plymouth net, with the aid of an upright.

Part two of the game was just the opposite.
Our commentary team managed to paint a rather rosy picture whereby it seemed it was only a matter of time before Charlton got their just desserts and scored a hatful.
Needless to say, Argyle grabbed back the lead with a quite tremendous strike, "against the run of play".

With only a few minutes left, it seemed as if it was to be another Charlton disappointment on the road.
We've only won away once in the league and this looked like another kick in the teeth.

I was hoping for Charlton to fight back but I didn't really think it would happen.

My neighbours were treated to another yelp of euphoria as Benson, (again), managed to equalise after a perfect header back across the goal by Doherty.

Many will be a little flat at the result but I'd rather be sunny and say that this is just the kind of game we could have won but in recent seasons would probably have lost.

It's now all set for the game at home to Brighton next weekend.
I have family in Brighton and I was somewhat 'ribbed' by their win at the Valley last season.

Please Charlton.

For me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the link to the Paul Whitehouse advert.
It's a classic.
It's not often we get mentions down here in Plymouth, unless it's poking fun at our rather 'rural' life, stuck miles from anywhere.

Will we ever beat you at our place?

Pilgrim.